Monday, September 29, 2008

A proper post...

Me at the beach by a golf course.
My feet in what I think is the North Sea.



Hello all! Today I am going to write a proper post and hopefully now that school has started I will be able to keep up with this thing more regularly. I am finally settled in, though my room is already untidy. I only have classes twice a week which I think will probably end up getting very very boring for me. I am taking a class on Globalization (though they spell it globalisation which is soooo weird). And a class on Democracy. I wanted to take more classes but they wont let me so I think I'll end up being very bored.  I made my first trip out of St. Andrews a couple days ago to go to a town called Dundee. 

It was really funny everyone was telling me that Dundee was really shady and a horrible place to live and what not but it was clean and there was really little poverty. Just everyone wasn't as privlidged as people in St. Andrews. Everyone had talked about it like it was so horrible which is really funny. I don't think horrible in the UK and horrible in San Francisco really mean the same thing. I just wanted to be like "You want to see horrible? You should go check out the Tenderloin in San Francisco....". Next time I go back, which I undoubtedly will since they have shopping there, I will take pictures and send them to all of you so you can see how unhorrible it really is. The only thing I noticed is that there was A TON of young pregnancy.

I really like Scotland though I have to say it is sooo cold and a little preoccupied with things like posh vs. non-posh. There is a lot of nature to... like spiders. Which really aren't my thing. Things I miss:
* In and Out Burger
*Trader Joes
*My Bed
*REAL Burritos
*The Sun

Pounds still feel like monopoly money to me. And I am acutely aware of how expensive things are here. Its kind of hard to be here right now and watch about the economic situation at home and hear it on the BBC. Its also hard to be here when the cub
s are sooo close to their first pendant.

The food here is not bad if a little bland, but at least they have BOMB Indian food. Even the dinning hall makes better Indian food then we get in the states. Everyone is super in love with fries which I have to say are pretty good here. I cooked dinner yesterday for a couple friends and I have to say that without a doubt it was the worst meal I think I have ever cooked, it was a little embarrassing but at least everyone was super appreciative for it.

Yesterday was the society fair. I joined the International Relations Society and the International Politics Society. They had so many more societies then USF, like the Beer Society, or the Rave Society... there was literally like millions of them. 

Love and Miss you all.

xoxo
Glatty

Here is a picture of the course...

1 comment:

Lovely Lexi said...

I miss you!!! your adventures sound amazing already. But are you sure you really want to be there for the whole year? I LOVE YOU!! and I cant wait to read your next post ;)