Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Academia

Today I ran into one of my professors in Boots (a store they have in the UK that I can only describe like if ULTA and a pharmacy had a love child....). He is kind of what you would think of the typical English professor with the posh-ish English (nationality  not subject) professor accent and the kind of academic personality that only comes from years of teaching at a university.  I don't think he remembered my name which is only to be expected after teaching as long as he has though I found it slightly comical. He recognised me though, and there was an awkward moment where I wasn't sure if we were just going to ignore each other or actually chat (we ended up talking, he asked me why I stayed, etc.). But the point of this story is... I love bumping into professors outside of the classroom and tutorial sessions. Its almost like seeing an animal in the wild. You have this image of them that you yourself build in your head and they themselves encourage with their daily classroom behaviour and then you see them outside of the classroom and your view of them totally changes.

To be perfectly honest though I am just glad I wasn't buying anything embarrassing. 

xoxo
Glatty


1 comment:

A Random Traveler said...

True! Very true! It was totally a different experience once I saw my professor shouting for football in a crowded bar. I did not know how to react for a while.


PS: Just another blogger from St Andrews Univ.