Monday, November 10, 2008

A new perspective on global warming...

Ok so it is about 45 degrees Fahrenheit here or roughly 6 degrees Celsius for anyone else who is reading. And to me it feels like hell has frozen over.  I never realised how much I was truely attached to California weather until today. I didn't realise how much I really do appreciate the sun, and the heat, and being able to walk around in a sun dress on my birthday in February. 

It's reading week and most of my friends have gone home or gone travelling, I on the other hand have locked myself in the library to try and get work done on my two essays that are due extremely soon. Since I have significantly less people here to distract me I have started to realise that I couldn't spend 4 years here. Its not that I don't think St. Andrews is beautiful or extremely clean (something San Francisco is not) and don't love all the people I've met here, but its just not the same. It's not a big city. But more specifically its not San Francisco. I loved London and could totally see myself living there but its still totally different then SF. What is it about San Francisco that I like so much? I really don't know. I mean the buses are never on time, it never smells clean, the fog rolls in too thick and the people are not always the most sane. But the more time I spend on my own the more I feel that, while I can be happy where ever I am, I enjoy myself most when I am in San Francisco.

I've noticed, after studying international relations here for a bit, that the UK is really focused on the effects it has had on post-colonial states as well as terrorism. Sometimes, I think, this comes at a price to its own self-consciousness about other issues. Admittedly, I came to St. Andrews so that I could study at a University in the European Union. I knew on some level I would be studying my subjects as well as the culture (social, political, etc.).  I just didn't think I would be able to reflect on the differences so fully already.

Toilets flush different here and I don't like it. I know that seems like a weird think to notice but I have. 
 
xoxo
Glatty

Food for thought:

I really wish they would put The Birdcage movie on itunes. SOOOO GOOD.

1 comment:

A Random Traveler said...

You bet! clean streets, But with only three streets, i guess its easier..:)

Just the same story for me too, reading week,locked up, essay writing. this is more of a "writing week"..

Good luck..